Hosting.ca must follow a code for the protection of personal information, which is included in the Act as Schedule 1. The code was developed by business, consumers, academics and government under the auspices of the Canadian Standards Association. At Hosting.ca we help PIPEDA web hosting compliancy. The 10 PIPEDA principles give individuals the right to know why their personal information is being collected, how it will be used, and to whom it will be disclosed, and to have the means to ask for access to, or correction of, their personal information.
The 10 principles that businesses must follow are:
- Identifying purposes
- Limiting collection
- Limiting use, disclosure, and retention
- Individual access
- Challenging compliance
How Hosting.ca Fullfills These Responsibilities
- Hosting.ca develops and implements a security policy to protect personal information.
- Hosting.ca uses appropriate security safeguards to provide necessary protection. These can include:
- physical measures
- up-to-date technological tools
- organizational controls
- Hosting.ca considers the following factors when selecting the right safeguard:
- the sensitivity of the information and the risk of harm to the individual. For instance, health and financial information would be considered highly sensitive;
- the amount of information;
- the extent of distribution;
- the format of the information (e.g., electronic or paper);
- the type of storage; and
- the types and levels of potential risk your organization faces.
- Hosting.ca reviews security safeguards regularly to ensure they are up to date through regular security audits and/or testing.
- Hosting.ca employees are aware of the importance of maintaining the security and confidentiality of personal information, and hold regular staff training on security safeguards.
For more information: https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/privacy-topics/privacy-laws-in-canada/the-personal-information-protection-and-electronic-documents-act-pipeda/p_principle/principles/p_safeguards/
PIPEDA Web Hosting Compliance
These days it is critical to ensure that the host you choose has a record in compliance and specializes in it. At Hosting.ca, our hosting is certified and audited by Public Works Canada. We are able to host Government contracts and entities. We have over 25 years of experience within the industry; contact us today to see how we can help you.